Monday, May 2, 2016

Rewriting Your Story: Mother's Day

This Sunday at Gray, Nick Quinton will be joining us and sharing the message. He is going to begin his role as Pastor at Lake Jackson UMC on July 1. He is a friend of mine that I met through serving on the Board of Directors at FSU Wesley. He also teaches at Trinity UMC downtown, as well as at FSU. He will be with you while I am out of town in Orlando with my family. I still haven't met my new nephew, who is now 1 month old! I look forward to being with my family, but will miss you all this weekend.

Sunday is Mother's Day! The last 6 weeks, we have been looking at how God has rewritten our story, how our lives have been changed by God. Without a doubt my mom has changed my life. She has been a constant comfort for me. She is one of the first people I go to when something significant happens in my life. She is funny, beautiful, caring, and I consider her a friend. She reminds me, by her actions, that God loves me.

I offer you this Mother's Day poem in appreciation for my mom, and all you moms, grandmas, and great grandmas, and care takers out there!

Hundreds of stars in the pretty sky,
Hundreds of shells on the shore together,
Hundreds of birds that go singing by,
Hundreds of lambs in the sunny weather.
Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the world wide over 

by George Cooper

Moms are one of a kind. In our beautiful world that God has created, they stand out. Thank you for all  that you do, and may God bless you and keep you, and make His face to shine on you and through you.

Now, to those of us who are not moms, Mother's Day can still be a special day for us. Some of your moms are gone. Some of us are male. Some have never known their biological mother. Some do not have children yet. Some do not want children and don't ever plan on being a mother. Still, Mother's Day can be an occasion for you to give thanks to God for all of the mothers out there. The world needs moms who love, care,and  provide; who comfort, guide, and protect; who nurture, laugh, and counsel. And there are millions of them doing these things, and more.

Moms change lives. Mine certainly did.

Prayer*:

Loving God, as a mother gives life and nourishment to her children, so you watch over your Church.
Bless these women, that they may be strengthened as Christian mothers.
Let the example of their faith and love shine forth.
Grant that we, their sons and daughters, may honor them and love them always with a spirit of profound respect and appreciation.
Grant this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

*adapted from Book of Blessings, U.S.A. as found in the United Methodist Book of Worship


In Christ,

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment