Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Joyful Obedience





This week, we conclude our 3 week preaching series about Holy Communion, with a sermon focused on the phrase "Joyful Obedience." This phrase is uttered as we pray for the pardon of our sins before we come and receive the Lord's Supper; we say it as we approach the Table. In order to illustrate what joyful obedience looks like, we will take a close look at the story of the Good Samaritan. I, for one, have never looked at it from this angle, and I am excited to see what we may discover together.

I encourage you you to read this parable in Luke 10:25-37, and think about the innkeeper and "joyful obedience." See where God may lead you...

The historical accuracy of the following story hasn't been confirmed, although it has been cited in several scholarly studies, of which I will not bore you with. Whether this truly happened or not (I believe it certainly could have), it brings up a good point for us to chew on as we approach the Table together on Sunday, and think about how what we say and do matters to us, and to God.

During the US civil war Abraham Lincoln met with a group of ministers for a prayer breakfast. Lincoln was not a church-goer but was a man of deep, if at times unorthodox, faith. At one point one of the ministers said, “Mr President, let us pray that God is on our side”. Lincoln’s response showed far greater insight, “No, gentlemen, let us pray that we are on God’s side.”


Yes, religion has its "wars," its controversies, issues, disagreements, points of disunity, disjointment (is that a word?), disfigurement...its "sides." We do not always agree on the ways in which we are to love God and neighbor. We do not always agree on the ways in which to live and love. So, we have our sides. We have our ways. All the while, we may believe that God is on our side and not the other. Although I do not believe that this language of "sides" is very helpful, Lincoln's story here brings up a good point: that what we say and do, how we live and love, does actually matter. We have the opportunity to do these things, to live our lives, not out of side-picking, but out of obedience to God.

But we also pray for God to "free us for joyful obedience..." This phrase is one of my favorite pieces of liturgy. It stands out for me because it is so peculiar to me. How in the world can I obey out of joy??? Obedience usually comes from a sense of obligation and duty...these are not quite the joyful attitudes that this prayer of confession calls for.

When I was a child, like most, I wanted to spend my time after school playing with my friends outside or upstairs with the video games. That brought me joy. It was a huge drag to stop playing and to come to the kitchen to help with dinner. My brother and I each had our jobs: one would set the table and one would help either clear the mess made as dinner was prepared or with the food itself (this was usually me). So when I was called inside or downstairs, it was not with joy, but out of a sense of obligation.

As the years went by, I did find joy in helping with dinner, no matter what it took me from. It brought me joy to spend a little bit of "extra" time with my mom, to talk about my day, to listen and be with her, and to help contribute to a special time we had as a family at our dinner table. Sure, part of this change for me was because I was growing up, learning about what was really important in life. But I also believe that this shift in attitude happened for me because I was not focusing on the job, but on the time spent with my mom.

The same can be in our lives as Christians. I don't think I am alone in saying that I struggle in my walk with God (so I/we confess before we approach the Table). When I struggle the most is when I see what I think God wants me to do (pray, do my morning devotions, serve when it's my "time off"...) as tasks to accomplish, as jobs to do...there is this heavy wait of obligation over my head. When my walk is actually going somewhere with God is when God and I agree that my spiritual life, my life of walking with God, does in fact bring me more joy than I could have ever dreamed. Joy is possible out of these things. Joy may come from obedience.

Prayer of Confession*

Merciful God,
we confess that we have not loved you with our whole heart.
We have failed to be an obedient church.
We have not done your will,
   we have broken your law,
   we have rebelled against your love,
   we have not loved our neighbors,
   and we have not heard the cry of the needy.
Forgive us, we pray.
Free us for joyful obedience,
      through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Hear the good news: You are are forgiven, you are free.

United Methodist Hymnal, 12.


In Christ,

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment