Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Wow.

"Wow" just about covers it. 

Sunday was a difficult day, but a great day. I cried as I remembered my 4 years, what I have experienced with the congregation, and remembered who I am in Christ...

Gray Memorial UMC has accepted me just as I am for 4 years. From my first day, when I knew hardly anything about what it meant to be a pastor, to today, when I am humbled and thankful to the point of tears for their welcoming and ministering with me. In this way, the congregation has shown me the grace and love of God. This congregation has helped me remember who I am--an imperfect person, called by God to offer the hand of Jesus to a world that is hungry, broken, and looking for hope.

Yesterday, I  opened all of the cards and gifts received yesterday at Gray Memorial United Methodist Church. They thanked me, encouraged me, and expressed prayers for my journey ahead. They made me laugh, cry, and remember the goodness of God. There is also a new cookbook, candy, and a Tervis cup for when I am on the go. But most of all, there is love in these expressions of gratitude and support.

Thank you, church. You have blessed me. You have shown me the grace and love of God. I will always remember you. 

On my way to Annual Conference in Lakeland this past week, a song came through my speakers that I hadn't heard in a while. Once I began to recognize it, I was thankful there was a rest area ahead. I began to remember the words and knew that I needed to pull over; it was going to be difficult to focus on the road during this song, but I did not want to skip it. So I sat in the parking lot of the rest area, close to tears, sort of lost in the song, and began to pray it. 

The song is called "You Have Called Me Higher" by All Sons and Daughters

here is a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGDVlOKoOoE

And here are the lyrics:

I could just sit
I could just sit and wait for all Your goodness
Hope to feel Your presence
And I could just stay
I could just stay right where I am and hope to feel You
Hope to feel something again

And I could hold on
I could hold on to who I am and never let You
Change me from the inside
And I could be safe, oh 
I could be safe here in Your arms and never leave home
Never let these walls down

Chorus: 
But You have called me higher
You have called me deeper
And I'll go where You will lead me Lord

And I could hold on
I could hold on to who I am and never let You
Change me from the inside
And I could be safe, oh 
I could be safe here in Your arms and never leave home
Never let these walls down

Chorus

And I will be Yours, oh
I will be Yours for all my life
So let Your mercy

Oh, and I will be Yours, Lord
And I will be Yours for all my life
So let Your mercy light the path before me

Chorus

This song, by chance, was also one of the worship songs played by the Eleven20 band at Annual Conference. I knew God was speaking to me. The words that stood out to me, in this season of my life, are : I will go where you lead me, Lord. This is my assurance that where I am going, the Lord is leading me, and that I will follow Jesus there. 

I covet your payers, I thank you for all that you have done with me and for me, and wish the congregation God's blessing with Myron Rhodes, and his wife Annette. I have gotten to know them, and you will be blessed by their presence and leadership here. 


Loving God, 
Creator of all things, 
Bless this congregation at Gray Memorial UMC
   and their surrounding community of Tallahassee
   that they may continue the good work of spreading your good news
I thank you for my time with them
  for their service, love, and dedication to love you and their neighbors.
During this time of change, 
  I ask that you may cover them with your hope and peace
Bless and prepare Myron and Annette
   as they anticipate coming into this community
   to continue and witness the good work that you have done.
May their ministry be fruitful.
May they bring people to know your love and grace,
   through their gifts and graces.
You have done marvelous things, O Lord.
We can't wait to see what you next.
In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit we pray. Amen.

In Christ, 

Jack




No comments:

Post a Comment