Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Commit: Witness

"Witnessing" is a loaded term in Christianity. For me, in conjures up images of an over-aggressive person trying to convince me that Jesus saves and I must follow Jesus in order to receive salvation. It is not exactly appealing, even if I believe that Jesus does save. The term may also drum up images in my mind of a well-meaning Christian harassing someone, asking them "if you died tomorrow, do you know where you'd end up??"


In Luke 24:48, Jesus appears to the disciples after he has risen from the dead, and encourages them: "you are witnesses to these things," of the suffering, death, and resurrection of the savior, and the forgiveness of sins. Jesus tells them to proclaim that this has happened "to all nations."

In 2 Timothy 4, the author urges followers of Christ to "proclaim the message; be persistent whether the time is favorable or unfavorable; convince, rebuke, and encourage, with the utmost patience in teaching."

It is pretty clear through Scripture, God wants the gospel to be shared through the voices of the followers of Jesus. I admit that I struggle with this. I believe that actions speak louder than words; that "they will know we are Christians by our love," as the song goes. Truth be told, I am probably more comfortable with the mindset that my actions are enough, that I don't need to say why I am a Christian.

Through this struggle, I want to challenge myself to match my actions with my words. In my studying so far of the Luke 24 passage, this comment caught my attention in the Interpreter's Bible:

"Still there is always some devout or earnest person to chant: 'Deeds, not words! Quit talking about, and live the right kind of life!' It is somewhat difficult to believe that the way we behave day in and day out can be so utterly startling and radiant that everybody we run into must perforce be mesmerized by it into crossing [themselves] and muttering the Creed. They must have deeds to match, but it is words that burn their way into human life and leave the only indelible marks it wears."

Anyone who has been bullied and verbally abused, or encouraged through what someone says to them, knows that words have power in our lives. The old adage I learned in school as a kid "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me" is just not true. I believe what Ghandi said was true:



Words portray what we believe and reflect the kind of person that we are. So scripture encourages followers of Christ to say what they believe! This is not only for the benefit of the people who interact with Christians, surely folks who hear the good news can be changed by them.Speaking the good news also benefits the one who utters it. Hearing the good news, and speaking the good news, that "for it is by grace that you have been saved through faith in Jesus Christ" can change someones life, even yours. Say it, hear it, live it. May your words match your actions, and your actions your words.

No comments:

Post a Comment