Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Giving Up Death



As the season of Lent draws to a close and Holy Week is upon us, again I find myself in a happy, comfortable, familiar place, because I know that Easter is right around the corner. I have a habit of not letting these feelings last for very long, once I identify them as such. When I am comfortable, I tend to be more laid back and let things fall through the cracks. I don't pay as much attention as when I am uncomfortable, looking for a way back to the peace that I crave. This creates a sort of cycle, as you can imagine.

On the one hand, I know that Sunday is Easter. This gives me peace, hope, and joy! On the other hand, I remember that this week is Holy Week, where Jesus was headed to the cross. I remember that Christians in Egypt have been killed during a worship service on Palm Sunday this week. I remember that many in our world suffer and die for their faith. Indeed, we need Jesus to save us from all of this.

Easter becomes cheap when we do not consider what it took for Jesus to rise again. He had to die, and he did. If you have ever experienced the death of a loved one, you have a glimpse of what Holy Week is all about. The pain, confusion, heartbreak, and grief of loss sometimes feel like a pit of emptiness and despair. Christians find their way out of that hole through the healing power of time and hope that death is not the end. It wasn't for Jesus, and it will not be for us.

On Thursday evening here at Gray Memorial UMC (2201 Old Bainbridge Road), we will have the stations of the cross displayed. These images will help you walk through these final moments of Jesus' life. You will find that he prayed, was betrayed, arrested, put on trial, condemned, crucified, and buried. Although they are tough images to look at, they remind me of the price of salvation; of what Jesus went through so that we could have a relationship with God. However confusing it is that Jesus died for us, the peace and assurance that I am saved because of it makes all the difference.

So, in these few days before Easter, I invite you to read the story of holy week (Matthew 26:30–27:66, Mark 14:26–15:47, Luke 22:39–23:56, and John 18:1–19:42). I don't blame you if you read this narrative while you cling to the knowledge of how it ends! We follow Jesus here and now, knowing that Jesus rose again on the third day after he died.

Prayer:

God of such unwavering love,
how do I "celebrate" the passion and death of Jesus?
I often want to look the other way  and not watch,
not stay with Jesus in his suffering.
Give me the strength to see his love with honesty and compassion,
and to feel deeply your own forgiveness and mercy for me.
Help me to understand how to "celebrate" this week.
I want be able to bring my weaknesses and imperfections with me
as I journey with Jesus this week, so aware of his love. Amen.

In Christ,

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment