Tuesday, December 13, 2016

In A Word: Dream


In Matthew 1: 18-25, Joseph had a dream. This dream was an encounter with God that preceded the birth of Jesus. It ends up being a pretty important dream, too, for it resulted in Joseph's care for Mary. Through this dream, Joseph shows profound trust in God.

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time remembering my dreams. Some times I wake up in the morning, knowing that I had a dream, but feeling the details of it slipping away from my memory. I remember having an assignment in my junior year of high school to keep a dream journal and analyze it. I was very frustrated, and I let my teacher know. I exclaimed to him that "some people just can't remember what they dreamed about!" Understanding my struggle, he encouraged me to, as soon as I woke up, write down one thing that happened in the dream and then how I felt when I woke up. I started this practice, and my dream journal began to fill with more and more details. Turns out, I did remember my dreams, just not for very long. Writing them down helped me to remember them.

Here, in this passage of Scripture, we get a lot of details about Joseph's dream: an angel appeared to him, told him that he should take Mary as his wife, and that the child she had was from the Holy Spirit, that they should name this child Jesus, and that this name meant that he was going to save the people, fulfilling the ancient promise of a savior. First, I am impressed that Joseph remembered this detailed dream, because I would struggle to. Then, I am amazed. God encountered Joseph, leading him to care for Mary, trust God, and know that what was about to happen would save his people.

Whoa.

What a dream.

It is interesting to me that God encountered Joseph in this way. There is no burning bush or parting clouds on a mountaintop, only a dream. And Joseph shows profound trust in this dream, in God, in himself.

Can we trust our dreams, those thoughts just outside of our consciousness or awareness? I dream even while I am awake...I dream about what God may do through me, what God is up to...I dream about who I really am, what brings me joy, what would make me happy. I dream about what we may see of God and each other if we trusted God and let God truly speak to us and lead us.

Joseph must have been asking many questions...what should I do about Mary? What does the law require? What does my heart tell me? The dream was enough for Joseph...it answered these burning, important questions. God cares about our details. God cares about you.

I invite you to dream with God...dream about who you are...who God is...what you may do in this world because of God...what God may do with you...God loves these details, and wants to show you. I invite you to ask these important, albeit risky, questions with God...and listen...dream...

Loving God, thank you for dreaming with me, for leading me, showing me your presence and your love. Help me to trust you, to seek you, and to rest assured that you are with me, through Jesus Christ your Son, my Lord and savior. Amen.

In Christ,

Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment