Monday, January 12, 2015

1/18/15----God is Here: God's Lamp

Growing up with my mom, I had to learn to listen to what she said, rather than simply waiting for plain directions. I used to love helping her prepare dinner, and I learned this about her most directly during those times with her. For example: sometimes I would forget to get out the butter, but she wouldn't tell me to get it out, she would ask me something like: "were these mashed potatoes made with butter?" I either had to find out if they were, or know that she was telling me that they weren't and, thus, that she was telling me to get the butter out.

We all have our quirks, and I don't mean to pick on my mother here. I mean to point out that in our relationships with one another, we have the great opportunity to actually get to know one another. In 1 Samuel 3, Samuel mistakes the Lord's voice for Eli's because he does not know the Lord. 

We have the same opportunity to get to know God. It's important to know the Lord if we are seeking God's word, otherwise we will not recognize it, or we will mistake it for something else. 

Samuel eventually hears the Lord's words so consistently and so clearly that he is able to anoint kings. That's way more impressive then supplementing mashed potatoes with butter, but both tasks require knowing the one you are following; they both require the ability to recognize who you are following and, thus, what they are leading you to do. 

This Sunday, we will reflect on God's presence and direction in our lives, since "God's lamp hasn't gone out." We will do this through fellowship,by singing to the Lord and praising God, by lifting up our prayers to God, and also by remembering our baptisms. Like the water that washes us clean, refreshes us, and gives us peace, the Lord's lamp guides us and reminds us of God's presence. Thanks be to God!

See you Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment