Monday, August 11, 2014

Great Faith---Sunday August 17th, 2014

This Sunday, we will continue to explore examples of faith in the gospel of Matthew.

The faith of the Canaanite woman (Matthew 15:21-28) is one of persistence, and Jesus calls it "great." What's so great about it? This woman seems annoying to me, like someone that just won't leave Jesus alone. There are reasons for this woman to stop persisting after Jesus, but she doesn't...

What keeps us from having faith like the Canaanite woman? Are we afraid of annoying Jesus, who is the very one who invites us to come to him? Are we afraid that our needs will not be met by God, who continues to provide for us? I hesitate to bring things to Jesus because I'm afraid that Jesus and I don't agree about what I want and need. If I bring something to him, I will just be disappointed in myself; God will tell me that I'm wrong. Even though I know that God will take care of me, my own lack of confidence gets in the way of my faith. That is what keeps me from persisting after Jesus, what is it for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment